Oxy is a growing, action-oriented exploration and production company continually working to be one of industry’s best. Our success has and will continue to be dependent upon our talented workforce. We are currently looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of HES Drilling Consultant for our Mid-Continent business unit based in Dickinson, North Dakota.
The essential duties include the following:
- Report functionally to the Manager HES Shared Services
- Review safety performances and implementation of Oxy’s Contractor Safety programs to ensure the continuous improvement and compliance with Oxy’ HES requirement while preserving the independent contractor relationship. Primarily focusing on Contractors engaged in Drilling and Well Servicing and associated work activities.
- Take the lead in the establishment and maintaining of MCBU emergency response planning and resources involving Drilling and Well Servicing activities
- Assist in the implementation of established HES procedures to ensure operations are undertaken in accordance with Oxy’s HES Management System
- Advise and assist Line Managers, Supervisors and Contractor Safety Representatives to ensure operations, practices and conditions are within Company policies, procedures and performance standards.
- Work with Oxy’s Supply Chain Management (SCM) to secure qualified and approved contractor workforce and that the contractors are aware of Oxy’s HES expectations and requirements.
- Actively engage in working with the contractors to identify site or job-specific training or safety procedures are necessary to perform the work safely
- Lead/Assist in the investigating all Safety incidents/accidents and issuing of prompt reports
- Assist in the establishment and maintaining of appropriate emergency response planning and resources
- Assist in the implementation of the OXY safe work systems policies and procedures, for example; Permit Required Confined Space Entry, Energy Isolation, Ground Disturbance, or Hot work.
- Support the Behaviour-Based Safety program by performing task observations and providing training to other observers
- Use of current HES databases to input and track HES action items until completed.
- Co-operate with internal and external audit groups and assists as required.
- Participate/Lead in accident/incident investigations as requested using TapRooT® root-cause analysis.
- Conduct HES Safety Meeting and or training as needed.
- Conduct hazard assessments, assess activities for HES compliance, and perform site inspections.
- Must have a working knowledge of federal, state and local regulatory requirements in the HES area for oil & gas production operations,
- Possess excellent skills for dealing effectively with other BU members, company operations personnel, regulatory personnel and the public.
- Support to the OOG HES Assessment Program, including team member participation and providing support as appropriate.
- Enhance the Contractor Safety Management processes and documentation development to strengthen Oxy’s Safe Work Systems requirements.
- Performs other similar or related duties as and when assigned by the Mid-Continent HES Manager.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Hygiene, Safety Engineering or Environmental Practices, or equivalent HES experience in oil and gas industry.
- Demonstrated advanced working knowledge in the discipline area of HES Drilling
- Demonstrated advanced working knowledge to provide input to business plans including HES Drilling targets, actions and resources consistent with strategic HES objectives
- Demonstrated advanced working knowledge through implementation and maintaining effective Change Management procedures
- Demonstrated advanced understanding through influence improvements to the processes of business planning and procedure development to achieve better integration of HES risk management
- Ability to leads or facilitate investigations following the organization’s requirements
- Ability to review and assess investigation reports for quality, conclusions, underlying causes and appropriate actions
- Provide training and coaching in the basic process of root cause analysis incident investigation
- Possesses an advanced knowledge of safety management programs (BBS, VSP, WMP, etc.) as it relates to onsite evaluation and support of contractor/service companies.
- Demonstrates advanced working knowledge of HES Drilling programs and software systems and recommend alternatives to fill HES gaps for operations
- 12+ years of relevant/field operations experience or equivalent combination of experience and bachelor’s degree
Skills & Competencies:
- Time management and organizational skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Computer skills – Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills.
- Possess a valid driver license with a good driving record
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Demonstrated leadership in implementing safety, environmental and health practices and ability to assume HES leadership role as necessary.
- Demonstrated self development activities – continued education, participation in special projects etc.
Oxy is an Equal Opportunity Emloyer M/F/D/V